Quote

Black Lives Matter

Monday 22 June 2015

House and garden changes (KonMari?)

This is probably not really KonMari type things but all part of making my home an even more lovely place to live in.
House - Doors
My parents came over on Saturday for a visit which was lovely. My father in particular is not the sort of person who likes to sit and chat. He likes to do things first and then have a chat later on. His mission on the last trip and this trip was to fix all my internal doors so they worked properly.
 This has involved changing quite a lot of the handles, moving door plates, in one case moving a hinge and in several cases sawing or planing the bottom off the doors so they don't catch on the floor. Now it was only a minor irritation before I have to say compared with other major things, however it is absolutely bringing me a great joy to be able to close any or all of the doors, and it makes the upstairs landing feel positively serene when I come up the stairs to see 5 closed white doors.

As some things are still a work in progress in all of those rooms its nice to be able to shut the door on the clutter and not have the visual noise all the time.

Garden - Hedge
In the garden at this house I have a front hedge for the first time and mum showed me how to use an electric hedge trimmer. There was another hedge under the front window all across the house, and this we removed half way on Saturday. N and I finished it off on Sunday, since half a hedge is a very odd looking thing. A couple of stumps are left and I'll have a think about what to do there.
Before the hedge trimming mum and I sorted things in the back garden, pruning an overgrown buddleia, twining the pretty climbing plant further round the pergola etc whilst N mowed and strimmed the lawns. Its is looking lovely and has made me very happy I have to say.
I have 10 bags of garden waste left that would not fit in my green bin (nor the top of my neighbours, with permission of course) so will need to deal with those another day. They are in the garage keeping dry in case I need to take them in the car for disposal.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

The garden is looking fabulous. What a lovely place to look out on in a morning whilst you eat breakfast. I know what you mean about the ranks of closed doors. There is something so right about them.

Jenni said...

The garden is looking fabulous. What a lovely place to look out on in a morning whilst you eat breakfast. I know what you mean about the ranks of closed doors. There is something so right about them.

MushyWear said...

Beautiful landscape! How satisfying to get things looking so nice. Your dad is so sweet to help you with the doors.

Unknown said...

Sometimes you just need someone to fix things. You are lucky to have a handy dad! And the garden is beautiful. Well worth making everything perfect.